Tuesday 8 November 2011

Hagia Sophia



At Uni I was lucky enough to transfer courses for a year and spend one year instead studying The History of Architecture. Without a doubt it was one of the most extraordinary years of studying I have ever done and one that I completely loved. Since that year I have had a deep passion for great architecture and I think my favourite building has to be : Hagia Sophia.

Having said that I have never seen it with my own eyes - yet last week my parents came back from Istanbul and, from what I hear, it surpasses all expectation.

It is considered by many art historians to be the 8th wonder of the world. It is the master piece of Byzantine architecture, a fundamental monument of the Ottoman Empire, arguably the greatest Christian Church of all time, a mosque, a museum and it was to be 1000 years until anything of such technical architectural complexity was ever constructed again.


X.

No comments:

Post a Comment